It’s tough to ignore feelings of jealousy as a human, but we shouldn’t have to. Feeling our emotions and processing through them is the best way to evolve and become stronger…but not only that, but it makes us more in touch with ourselves.
Feelings of jealously stem from feelings of distrust, threat, anger, and anxiety. Living in these feelings will make it almost impossible to heal and move forward in your relationship with other people and yourself. Having the tools to deal with feelings of jealousy is essential.
What can we do when we feel jealous?
- Accept these feelings as real and authentic. Once you realize what the emotion is that you’re feeling (jealousy), you can begin to deal with and process it.
- Don’t turn your jealous thoughts into action. Harness your power over yourself, and don’t let your mind control you.
- Change your mind. This isn’t to say that your feelings are wrong, but there is a way that you can shift your thoughts into something more positive.
- Be honest with others about how you feel. Communicating your jealousy or insecurities is a great way to build trust. The person who made you feel jealous might not have known. Communication is an essential part of developing healthy relationships and emotions.
- Be grateful and surround yourself with like-minded people. Reminding yourself of all that you do well, and being around people who feel the same is a great way to remove those feelings of jealousy and doubt.
- Learn and grow. When you can recognize where these feelings are going to come from and how you can deal with them, you have leveled up!
These steps aren’t going to eliminate your jealousy or make it so you never feel it again, but they will help you process your jealously so it doesn’t damage your relationships.