From our IG feeds to the editorial pages, the glossy lid look has been a hot trend that’s popping up far and wide. Whether it’s a bright, bold color topped with some shine, or a simple slicked lid, it’s here to stay. If you tried to pull it off before, you probably learned that gloss is rather sticky, and it also creases rather quickly. However, there are a few tricks that will help make that shine last.
- The first step of applying make-up to your eyelids is to make sure they are clear of oils. It’s natural for our eyelids to produce oil, but since it will affect the staying power of the gloss, we need to cleanse the area. If you use an oil-based make-up remover, be sure to use a toner to remove residue.
- Use a primer for staying power! Priming the eye not only creates a neutral base but also encourages the product to stick.
- When applying the gloss, remember that a little goes a long way. Start with a small dab and tap it onto the eyelid with either a finger or a brush. The less there is, the longer it will last. Avoiding the crease line will also help prevent your eyeshadow from disappearing.
- If you want a high shine look while using less gloss, try a metallic (but not glittery) shade of shadow. Light reflecting from it will help emphasize the gloss. A subtle or neutral color will also hide any creasing better.
- Use a translucent powder to set the gloss. A very, very small amount will absorb some of the moisture of the gloss, aka the culprit for ruining your perfect look.
- Finish your look with some setting spray. This will lock your glossy look in place.
If you want to accomplish a more subtle variation of this look, you can try Jillian Dempsey’s Lid Tint.