If you’re still trying to survive your workday on coffee and break room donuts, hear us out: Start packing healthy protein-packed lunches to get through your day. Simple as that. Not sure where to start? We got you.
Before you even start thinking about specific foods, keep in mind that a balanced meal includes:
- Protein to keep you satisfied longer
- Complex carbs to give you a steady supply of energy
- Healthy fats
- Fruits and vegetables for vitamins and minerals
Okay, let’s get to the recipes!
The TikTok Wrap Hack
There’s a chance you’ve seen this hack floating around the internet. Because it’s so versatile, this wrap doubles as an easy and nutritious lunch to take to work. To make this recipe healthier, use a whole-wheat tortilla, skip the chips, and instead of sour cream, substitute Greek yogurt. Check out this recipe from I Am a Food Blog.
- 1 pound ground beef
- Taco seasoning
- 6 large corn or flour tortillas
- 1½ cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered (or diced regular tomatoes)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Tortilla chips as desired
- Cook the beef: Brown the beef in a frying pan over medium-high heat until browned and cooked through. Drain off any excess fat, if needed. Add spices and stir. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Make the wrap: Lay tortilla down on a cutting board. Take a knife and cut a line from the center of tortilla to the bottom edge.
- Starting at the bottom left quarter, add shredded lettuce and tomato. On the top left quarter, spread on sour cream and top with tortilla chips. On the top right quarter, add cheese and ground beef. On the last quarter, sprinkle some more cheese.
- Start with the bottom left corner and fold it up over the top left. Then fold it over to the top right. Finally, fold it down to the bottom right.
- Grill in a pan over medium heat until the tortilla is crispy and the cheese melts, flipping once, 3-4 minutes per side.
- Once your wrap cools, you can put it in a container or bag to take to work and enjoy!
If you’ve been sleeping on bagel sandwiches, it’s time to wake up! The best part? There’s no right or wrong way to make them. Take the bagel of your choice, spread a light cream cheese or herb and garlic cheese spread, top with meat and cheese, then load it up with vegetables to create a lunch that takes no time to make and should keep you full all day.
Avocado Chicken Salad
This avocado chicken salad recipe from Wholesome Yum only requires eight ingredients. You can enjoy it on a tortilla, bread, or a rice cake, or scoop it up with raw vegetables. Check out this recipe from Wholesome Yum.
- 2 medium avocados
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- Sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- ⅓ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp jalapeños, minced
- Mash avocado and lime juice together with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add shredded chicken, red onion, cilantro, and jalapeños. Stir everything together. Serve immediately.
Charcuterie is not only easy to pack, but it covers about everything you want in a lunch. If you really want a nutritious lunch that keeps you satisfied all day, incorporate some fresh fruits and raw nuts.
If you tend to gravitate toward fast food for lunch, a protein-packed burger bowl may be just what you’re craving. Plus, burger bowls can easily be meal-prepped for the week, taking all the guesswork out of your lunches. Check out this recipe from All The Healthy Things.
For the Burger Meat:
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
For the Salad:
- Romaine lettuce
- Red onion
For the Special Sauce:
- ¼ cup mayo
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp pickle juice
- 1 Tbsp dill relish
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and spices. Brown the beef, breaking it up as it cooks until it is fully cooked through.
- While beef browns, make the special sauce. Add all the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk together until combined.
- Assemble your burger bowls. Start with romaine, then add toppings and beef. Drizzle the special sauce over everything, and enjoy!