Your scalp is no different than your lips, legs, or face, which means it can benefit from a good scrub just like any other part of your body! In a world where dry shampoo is a lifesaver, your scalp needs some exfoliation!
Clean hair follicles promote hair growth and healthy-looking hair. Daily use of a variety of hair products causes build-up, adding to the dead skin cells already accumulating on the scalp.
All of this leads to clogged hair follicles, greasy hair, slow hair growth, and even dandruff. To promote skin turnover, it is crucial to remove all that build-up caused by pollution, oil, and products. Luckily, there’s an effortless way to “detox” your scalp for smooth and shiny hair.
We recommend using a scalp scrub twice a month in the shower. Not only will it make your head feel clean, but it will leave you relaxed! A good scalp scrub promotes blood circulation to the area, which is good news if you’re trying to grow long locks.
DIY SCALP SCRUB
- Start with brushing your hair or using a scalp exfoliating brush to help lift all excess debris.
- Use a DIY scalp scrub (below) or buy one at your local beauty supplier and massage it all over your scalp.
- Rinse your hair with cool or warm water. Hot water can cause dryness and skin irritation, so try to avoid using it.
For dry hair:
- 1 cup sugar (white, raw, or brown)
- 1/8 cup oil (olive oil is excellent for dry skin)
- 15 drops of essential oils (lavender for sensitive skin, tea tree for dandruff, or both!)
For oily hair:
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil