Whether you go with friends, your significant other, or your entire family, a road trip is a bonding experience to explore new parts of the country. Here are a few tips for planning your next road trip!
Choose a Location
Here are some destination suggestions:
- Jackson Hole, Wyoming: You can go camping year-round in Jackson Hole. During the winter, you can ski, and in the summer, you can fly-fish, hike, bike, and more.
- Olympic Peninsula, Washington: About a 3-hour drive west of Seattle is Olympic National Park in the Olympic Peninsula, where you will find Mount Constance, Mount Deception, and Mount Olympus. There are plenty of family activities, including hiking, biking, and golf.
- Shenandoah National Park, Virginia: Look forward to experiences like horseback riding, rock climbing, and myriad waterfalls to hike to and admire.
- Big Sur, California: If you’re looking for a beautifully scenic drive, beaches, and amazing food options, Big Sur is the spot. You can easily head over to Monterey to explore!
- Cape Cod, Massachusetts: Traverse historic Route 6A, enjoy the North Atlantic coast, go whale watching, and hike. You can also book tours of the dunes by air or boat.
Set a Date
Next, you want to pick a time of year. This will help you decipher what weather to expect, what clothes you need to pack, and which activities to partake in.
Select Your Transportation
The next big thing to focus on is your means of transportation. Regardless of the type of vehicle you are taking, make sure to take it in for a service appointment and have your registration documents and insurance cards up to date.
Where to Stay
Once you set your itinerary and dates, you should book your lodging as far in advance as possible, whether that’s reserving a parking spot for an RV or van or booking a cabin, hotel, or Airbnb. However, you are likely to find hotels and motels along the way to stay as you need on your way.
What are your favorite road trip destinations? Share them with us in the comments below!